Monday, August 31, 2009

Nice to make a difference, even in a small way...

Got a very nice note from a member of the extended Press family regarding a recent article on Big Brothers Big Sisters, and it reminded me of why we do this job, and of the intangible benefits.

He wrote:

By the way, don't think that The Press is without influence ... After reading your excellent piece on Big Brothers Big Sisters of Long Island a few months ago, I was moved to apply to become a "Big." ... They have given me a little 8-year-old Hampton Bays boy ... whose Ecuadorean mother is divorced from his Guatemalan father. I see him every Sunday, and we go to the beach, the Children's Museum, boating, that sort of thing. ... It's a very interesting experience--and I have The Press to thank for it.


Very nice to hear. And a tip of the hat to Vera Chinese, who did a great job on that story...

"For 'Bigs and Littles' Alike, a Great Experience" (Southampton Press, March 21, 2009)

1 comment:

  1. You forgot to mention the incredibly hardworking and talented journalist who wrote the story :)

    This note made me happy too. Recently, a friend told me that I am in the business of ruining lives. I forwarded him that very e-mail as proof that we do a lot of good too.

    ReplyDelete